County Bird Club
A Chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society (MOS)
Field Trip: Saturday, December 01, 2007
Trip Leader: Arnold, Stan
Date of Trip: Saturday, December 01, 2007
Location: Blackwater NWR
Details: We tallied 82 species for the day, quite
exceptional considering the strong wind.
Photos by Sue Earp
(Numbers of individuals are shown if they were recorded.)
- Snow Goose : 100+ flyovers, Cedar Creek Rd.
- Canada Goose : 1000s
- Mute Swan : 3 flybys, Queen Annes Common
- Tundra Swan : 100s
- Wood Duck : 1 (Maple Dam Rd.)
- American Wigeon : 6, Oakley St., Cambridge
- American Black Duck : 25
- Mallard : 100+
- Northern Pintail : 20, refuge
- Surf Scoter : 25, Choptank River
- Long-tailed Duck : 15, Choptank R.
- Bufflehead : 35, Choptank R.
- Common Goldeneye : 12, Choptank R.
- Hooded Merganser : 6, Shorter's Wharf Rd.
- Ruddy Duck : 1, Marsh Edge Trail
- Red-throated Loon : 1 flyover, Kent Island
- Pied-billed Grebe : 2
- American White Pelican : 2 sightings, possibly same
- Double-crested Cormorant : 8, mostly Choptank R.
- Great Blue Heron : 6
- Black Vulture : 2
- Turkey Vulture : 20
- Bald Eagle : 40+
- Northern Harrier : 12
- Sharp-shinned Hawk : 1
- Red-shouldered Hawk : 1, Talbot Co
- Red-tailed Hawk : 5
- Rough-legged Hawk : 2, one provided a great show while
hunting along the wildlife loop at the refuge (photographed
by Tom Miller); a 2nd seen distantly along Cedar Creek Rd.
- American Kestrel : 2
- American Coot : 2
- Killdeer : 90, mostly along Maple Dam Rd.
- Greater Yellowlegs : 12, Shorter's Wharf Rd.
- Dunlin : 8
- Wilson's Snipe : 2
- American Woodcock : 6 to 8 flyovers along Shorter's
Wharf Rd. at dusk
- Ring-billed Gull : 50+ Herring Gull: 25+, Choptank R.
- Great Black-backed Gull : 12, Choptank R.
- Forster's Tern : 20
- Rock Pigeon : 75+
- Mourning Dove : 25
- Short-eared Owl : 4, Cedar Creek Rd, a great show
- Belted Kingfisher : 2
- Red-bellied Woodpecker : 1
- Downy Woodpecker : 1
- Hairy Woodpecker : 2
- Northern Flicker : 1
- Blue Jay : 6
- American Crow : 1 mobbing the Rough-leg at refuge
- Fish Crow : 1 heard
- Tree Swallow : 20
- Carolina Chickadee : 4
- Tufted Titmouse : 2
- Red-breasted Nuthatch : 1, Marsh Edge Trail
- Brown-headed Nuthatch : 3, Marsh Edge Trail
- Brown Creeper : 2
- Carolina Wren : 3
- Winter Wren : 1
- Golden-crowned Kinglet : 6
- Ruby-crowned Kinglet : 12
- Eastern Bluebird : 20
- Hermit Thrush : 4
- American Robin : 12
- Northern Mockingbird : 1
- European Starling : 100s
- American Pipit : 35 (Maple Dam Rd. and refuge)
- Cedar Waxwing : Talbot Co
- Yellow-rumped Warbler : 8
- Pine Warbler : 1, Marsh Edge Trail
- Savannah Sparrow : 12
- Song Sparrow : 12
- Swamp Sparrow : 2
- White-throated Sparrow : 6
- Dark-eyed Junco : 10
- Snow Bunting : 1 seen flying by, Wildlife Loop
- Northern Cardinal : Talbot Co
- Red-winged Blackbird : 100s
- Eastern Meadowlark : 25
- Common Grackle : 12
- Brown-headed Cowbird : 12
- American Goldfinch : 3
- House Sparrow : 1
Talbot Co., near Choptank River. Dorchester Co., mostly