Poplar Springs Park
920 Watersville Road, Mt. Airy, MD 21771
- Size: 7.1 acres; red (woods)
trail is 0.22 miles and purple (meadow) trail is 0.35
- Habitat: Maturing deciduous
trees adjoining a stream; vegetated seepage area; brushy/weedy
margins; open field with mown paths and hedgerows. Trees have
been planted in the meadow so the open habitat will disappear
- Best Months: Spring, fall, and
- Coverage Time: Fifteen minutes
to one-half hour.
- Trails/Paths: Trail from
lefthand side of parking area leads through the woods and
connects to mown meadow trail.
- Notable Birds: Bald Eagle,
Cooper's Hawk, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Winter Wren, Brown
Thrasher, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Rusty Blackbird.
- Amenities: Gravel parking lot
adjacent to Watersville Road. A few wooden benches positioned in
both the woods and field areas.
- Handicapped Access: Dirt and
grass paths with gentle grades.
- Operation and Hours: Howard
County park; dawn to dusk (or as posted).
- Special Attractions: The
Poplar Springs historic landmark associated with the early
settlement of Howard County is located near the trail entrance. A
hummingbird garden has been planted at the righthand end of the
- Howard County Recreation and Parks information
Compiler: Jeff Culler