Patapsco Valley State Park
Daniels Road, Ellicott City, Maryland 21043
- Size: Daniels Road provides
access to a portion of the 14,000-acre Patapsco Valley State
Park, (PVSP), which runs 32 miles along the Patapsco
- Habitat: Floodplain and upland
deciduous woods, forested stream valley, open areas.
- Best Months: Spring, summer,
and fall. Because some Neotropical species breed here, late
spring and early summer can be particularly
- Coverage Time: Up to a half
- Trails/Paths: Access point for
several miles of trails along the river and in upland
- Notable Birds: Wood Duck, Wild
Turkey, Little Blue Heron, Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, White
Ibis, Glossy Ibis, Eastern Screech-Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Least
Flycatcher, Yellow-throated Vireo, Veery, Gray-cheeked Thrush, Golden-winged
Warbler, Cerulean Warbler, Black-and-white Warbler, Prothonotary
Warbler, Kentucky Warbler, Hooded Warbler, Summer Tanager,
- Amenities: No facilities.
Small personal watercraft launch area above dam. One small paved
parking lot; additional gravel parking areas.
- Handicapped Access: Parking is
on asphalt or gravel. The mostly gravel road/trail along the
river upstream is level. Other trails are dirt with moderate to
- Operation and Hours: State
park hours are 8:00 a.m. till dusk. This is not a fee
- Special Attractions: Large
variety of warblers in spring, summer, and fall. The historic
dam, fish ladder, and historic church add interest.
Compiler: Scott Berglund