Alpha Ridge Park
11685 Old Frederick Rd/Md 99, Marriottsville, MD 21104
- Size: 72 acres
- Habitat: Open areas, wet
meadow, pond with cattails, deciduous floodplain woods, small
amount of coniferous woods, stream.
- Best Months: April–May;
- Coverage Time: 30 minutes to
an hour or more.
- Trails/Paths: No trails or
paths except sidewalks in the vicinity of the ballfields and
pavilions; a mown strip behind the tennis courts provides a view
of the meadow as well as access to the south side of the
- Notable Birds: Northern Pintail, Wild Turkey,
American Bittern, Cattle Egret, Merlin, Glaucous Gull, Red-headed
Woodpecker, Warbling Vireo, Marsh Wren, American Pipit, American
Tree Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow, Rusty Blackbird,
- Amenities: Portable toilets
year-round; two pavilions, tot lot, tennis courts, ballfields,
and in-line hockey rinks.
- Handicapped Access: Limited.
Paved paths and parking lots in vicinity of athletic
- Operation and Hours: Howard
County park; dawn to dusk.
- Special Attractions: One of
the county's most easily accessible sites for nesting Warbling
Vireo, Blue Grosbeak, and orioles.
- Howard County Recreation and Parks information
Compiler: Ralph Cullison